Finally got back to it
After taking a break from basement work for 2 weeks (1 week was due to a work trip), I got back to it yesterday. Most of the remaining work is finish carpentry and touch-ups. Unfortunately, this is one area that takes longer than the others. With framing, electrical, drywall, etc. you are building the foundation that you can cover up or deal with mistakes without significant effort. When it comes to the trim and detail work, I go pretty slow because this is the first area people usually notice. How tight are the miters in the casing, how does the crown look, etc.
So here is what I got done yesterday:
- All baseboard is done. Ready for carpet (most likely after we get back from spring break).
- All crown that can go up without doing the front cabinets is completed.
- Window is framed and it’s only missing one small piece of casing which I stained last night. This should be done this week.
- Hand railing was put up so the stairs are complete.
- Casing for all doors is now done.
- New light at the top of the stairs was purchased and installed yesterday.
- Work on some of the final moulding surrounding the outside of the staircase was started but not finished.
- Julie finally stopped complaining about me not doing anything in the basement for a day (major accomplishment!)
I have the projector picked out and have looked at the electronics side of things for the past couple of days. I’m thinking that the initial setup will have the projector, receiver with 5.1, Xbox, and an apple tv (jailbroken to run xbmc). This will provide me the ability to play all the digital content I already have, plus use the Xbox as a Blu-ray player in addition to a gaming platform. For me, this is the payoff of all the work in the basement. Just need to find some guys to come over and break in the new system with me in April…